13.7.06

My Camera is Totally Pants...

....compared to this one:
I don't know why "pants" is such an effective Brit slang term for "something bad". "Pants" means "panties", and, though they may throw the "f" word around left and right in polite company, you'll get a blush out of a good English girl if you call something "pants" in front of her. You're essentially saying "That's underwear!" which should elicit more of a confused look than an embarassed one.

I learned real quick to call pants "trousers" after my friend Oona almost fell off her chair choking on her Cap'n Crunch sandwich when I'd asked her if she'd like to accompany me pants shopping as I wanted her opinion on a pair at Whistles that I thought were pretty snazzy.


Don't get me started on "fanny".

2 comments:

Mu said...

Huh. I did not know that about pants. Brings new meaning to when Shannon talks about wearing the pants in the relationship.

Butternugget said...

And there was that time around Halloween when I said to Shannon, "you could totally go goth, I'm sure Jolene has gothy shirts you fit into" and Shannon said, with great enthusiasm, "oh yeah! I can get in her pants too!". Then I believe he may have blushed a little, and I couldn't stop laughing for about an hour.

That said, I am most shocked at the way they use the "C" word so casually, like "mate" sometimes.