20.8.06

I am SICK of these muthafukin' snakes on this muthafukin' plane!!!

It started several months ago when my friend Mugsy sent me a link with the subject line - "This is fucking hysterical" The link led to what I THOUGHT at the time was an online joke.

I sent it to everyone I knew and then promptly forgot about it.

Several weeks later, the movie Snakes On A Plane was mentioned on NPR. They were as surprised as I was to learn this movie was not only not a joke, it was actually being made and it was to star Samuel L Jackson.

A couple of months later, this billboard appeared in Lincoln Square to underline the fact that someone seriously made a movie. Called Snakes On A Plane. Incredulity turned to curiousity, and we became determined to see it during its opening weekend.

What a classic B-Movie poster!

Two weeks ago, the Peepster sent me an email containing a personalized message to me from Samuel L. Jackson.

Yesterday Shannon, the Peepster and I went to see this legendary-before-it-was-even-released movie at the Kerasotes City North theater on Western, where we were warned by a digital female voice to behave ourselves because we were being watched before the movie started.

In retrospect, that was probably the creepiest part of the movie. Although the fear I felt for the calibre of the film we were about to see based on the crappy previews had me pretty terrified.

Snakes On A Plane may not leave you with a clearer understanding of the Bible, but it is goofy fun and well worth the price of admission.

Mugsy failed to mention that he was indeed starring in this internet phenomenon.
Brilliant marketing strategy, Mugsy!


5 comments:

rev transit said...

Not here too! Everywhere I go on the web today, someone is talking about this Snakes on a Plane-is-Christianity argument.

Why can't people just enjoy great art for its own sake? That's certainly how I approach boyfriends, by the way. You won't see me searching for some deeper meaning of life.

evandebacle said...

More needs to be said about how creepy the opening anouncement was, how they are watching and will know if we talk.

Shannon said...

You know, I missed that whole "we'll be watching" thing. Maybe some people should learn to be less paranoid about benevolent corporations and the government!

OrangeMoJoJo said...

For those of you who've seen the movie, AND SURVIVED, I can see the venom in your eyes:

http://www.myspace.com/cobrastarship

Please make sure you listen until the chorus is stuck in your head like it is mine. Misery, company and all that.

OrangeMoJoJo said...

This film could be the next Rocky Horror Picture Show:

http://snakeplay.pbwiki.com/script