4.8.06

Will Kill For This Coat

My parents recently returned from a trip to New York where they went to celebrate their anniversary (HAPPY ANNIVERSARY, MOMSTER AND PAPA SCHUETTER!!!!). My dad brought me back a a flyer he'd gotten from the Metropolitan Museum of Art during their stay. There had been a special exhibit of rock'n'roll fashion going on at the museum while they were there, and the flyer contained pictures from the exhibit, including this one:

This is the coat that David Bowie wore on the cover of Earthling. Not my favorite album, I prefer his earlier stuff, but the album cover graced my ceiling collage until I moved out, um, the second time.

I believe this is the coat the spurred my love of long jackets and my subsequent quest for the perfect long jacket, which, as Shannon can attest to, has been going on far too long.

David Bowie in the 70's in the concert that spurred his Quest for the Perfect Jacket.
Thank god he finally found it and was able to finally cover his Thin White ass.

David Bowie striking a Nosferatu pose before deciding this wasn't The Jacket.
He ended up giving it to Keanu Reeves.


David Bowie mocking Madonna.
This has nothing to do with the Quest for the Jacket.


David Bowie alerting his music deafened fans to please stop sending him jackets. His wife, Angie, was getting fed up with the steady inflow of outerwear from well-meaning fans.
His fans mistook this gesture to mean "I haven't found it yet!" and the number of parcels doubled.

Angie left less than a month later.


David Bowie realizing, in the middle of a concert with tag victim Annie Lennox,
that the mint green coat he's wearing is NOT The Jacket.
He cancelled the rest of the tour and went shopping.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Jolene!
Love,
Jimmy

Anonymous said...

Happy Happy Birthday!
Love,
Jimmy

Anonymous said...

Happy Happy Happy Birthday!
Love,
Jimmy

Anonymous said...

Happy Happy Happy Happy Birthday!
Love,
Jimmy

Anonymous said...

Happy Happy Happy Happy Happy Birthday!
Love,
Jimmy

Anonymous said...

Happy Happy Happy Happy Happy Happy Birthday!
Love,
Jimmy

Anonymous said...

Happy Happy Happy Happy Happy Happy Happy Birthday!
Love,
Jimmy

Anonymous said...

Happy Happy Happy Happy Happy Happy Happy Happy Birthday!
Love,
Jimmy

Anonymous said...

Well I was going to do one post and add a "Happy" for every year you had a birthday, but I figured I better quit while I was ahead, enjoy your day!
Jimmy

Rev Transit said...

Wow! The quest for the perfect jacket is even more interesting than the quest for the lost cup.

I like "inflow of outerwear", although I don't agree with the implied necessity of Bowie covering his thin, white ass.

Mu said...

Wow. That last picture of Bowie really makes him look like an extra from Buffy the Vampire Slayer.