13.9.06

Hey, Ya! I Have Become Comfortably Numb!

Two of the best covers I've come across are the Scissors Sisters' "Comfortably Numb" and Mat Weddle's (of Obadiah Parker) "Hey Ya!" What I like about them is they are SO different from the original songs. I love watching a live band cover a song that I can sing along to, but when a band goes and records a cover that sounds so much like the original it's hard to tell them apart, well, that's just parasitic unless you're Joe Cocker. And I hate parasites except for the Parasite Pals because unlike real parasites, Parasite Pals are cute and they don't try to suck out your brains like balamuthia. That is definitely NOT cute, and neither is covering a song identically. There is an opening here for a band that exclusively covers other bands' songs to name themselves The Balamuthia Brain Suckers or, if it's a single female singer doing the covering, she could just call herself Balamuthia. Maybe the name would catch on and unsuspecting parents everywhere would be christening their children Balamuthia.

I like to use information I learn as soon as I can so I don't lose it. You can thank the X-Files (season 1 disc 5) for my new knowledge of the parasitic balamuthia amoeba, of which I will stop writing because I just ate lunch myself. To take your mind off it, enjoy listening to Me First and the Gimme Gimmes cover of "I Believe I Can Fly," lunch intact.


1 comment:

Rev Transit said...

Sometimes when your brain starts rolling, you just have to sit back and enjoy where it takes you.