19.10.06

The Official Entries for the "Scare the Bejeebus Outta OrangeMoJoJo" Contest!

Eternal Silence - Graceland Cemetery, Chicago

I may not finish all of these stories by Halloween, but as soon as I do I'll declare a winner. I'm of the mind that, like my birthday, Halloween should last at least 2 months.


I'll be judging the scariest from among the following books (I only chose one per contestant - that way there's plenty left over for next year!

Chuffed: House of Leaves - Mark Danielewski

Shannon:
your first choice,
They Thirst by Robert McCammon, is unfortunately out of print. I'll track it down for next year, and take your second choice - The Haunting of Hill House - Shirley Jackson - instead.

Mu: The Turn of the Screw - Henry James

'DER: In Cold Blood - Truman Capote

Paul:
Ghost Story - Peter Straub


To warm up I've been reading a Poe story every day at lunch (I've got a pretty strong stomach!). Next week I'll start on Lovecraft.

Confidential to Mu: You totally got me back for that decapitated cat video by recommending
The Black Cat by Poe!! The guy terrorizes his beautiful, loving cat, then puts it's eyes out, then kills it by hanging it!!! Why do you hate me?!?!?

Confidential to Morita: I hope you remember the name of that story for next year! Sounds way creepy!

Gacy's "Pogo" was scarier than King's "Pennywise."
He may have killed more people, for one... Real ones.
DANG, I hate clowns!! *shudder!!!*

Thank you all for your suggestions! There were many on the list I've "wanted to get around to...." and now I have an excuse, and a few I've never even heard of. I'm sure at least one of them cause me to leave the lights on!

2 comments:

Mu said...

I actually have not read The Black Cat by Poe - just heard a lecture on it. Sounded like the cat won in the end...

OrangeMoJoJo said...

It was a really good story, actually! The cat does indeed prevail.