4.10.06

The Official "Scare the Living Bejeebus Outta OrangeMoJoJo!!" Contest!


I've had my own little twisted tradition every Halloween every year since high school where I'll read a scary book - by candlelight - starting the evening of the 30th and ending somewhere in the wee hours of early Halloween. I don't always get the entire book read - ie: I started reading Stephen King's IT somewhere around mid-September and finished it during the playoffs -Go Bills! Oh, never mind... - but I love to be reading something extra-scary on and around Halloween. Thing is, I haven't got an idea for a book to read this year. I need your help. If I'm not terrified on Halloween, the whole year's a bust, and since since grade school my year officially starts Labor Day weekend and NOT on January 1st, I have a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG way to go. I need your recommendations.



What is the scariest book you've ever read or heard about? While I'm open to horror novels, books about true crime and biographies (ie: The Family by Ed Sanders), I would probably not read anything political. I don't want my initial terror to be followed by a month and a half of profound depression. If you suggest a book and I read it and am truly scared, I'll send you a treat (no trick!). Since I'm a pretty fast reader and Halloween is my thang, I may read more than one book this month, so keep those entries a-comin'! Thank you in advance for scaring the crap out of me. I really appreciate it.



Halloweens Past Reading List (not in any particular order):

The Monk
Dracula
The Keep
The Amityville Horror
The Family
IT
Pet Semetary
The Exorcist
The Minister's Black Veil & Young Goodman Brown
The Pit and the Pendulum, The Telltale Heart, The Gold Bug, The Masque of the Red Death,
and the Cask of Amontillado

18 comments:

Mu said...

You could look at your wedding album and realise you are stuck with Shannon.

I hate scarry books, so I am not much use here.

Mu said...

If you like Poe, try "The Black Cat." I have not read it, but it is Poe and considered really creepy.

Mu said...

If you like classical scary, try "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow."

Or "Frankenstein", which was written as a bet from an authors retreat.

Or "Dr. Jeckle and Mr. Hyde."

Or "The Isle of Dr. Moreau."

Mu said...

Oh - an interesting slant on this might be "Heart of Darkness."

Mu said...

"War of the Worlds"

Mu said...

Ooo ooo ooo! I have your winner! "The Turn of the Screw" by Henry James. It is creepy, and classic, and interesting. I have see it staged,and it is very compelling.

Rev Transit said...

Mu, I don't think Jo's contest revolves around the number of comments you post on one article.

Shannon said...

I'm gonna go with "They Thirst" by Robert McCammon. I remember being REALLY freaked out by this book when I was a teen.

Oh, and Rev - Mu has a good idea, actually. If he names EVERY horror book on the planet, he wins by default...

Shannon said...

My second (and last) recommendation would be "The Haunting of Hill House" by Shirley Jackson (the same author who wrote the creepy "The Lottery").

OrangeMoJoJo said...

I LOVE That Mu wrote "I hate scary books, so I am not much use here" then went on to give about 90 suggestions. For scary books. (o;

Additional recommendations include:

from Paul'n'DER: In Cold Blood (Capote); Ghost Story and Shadowland (Straub);
from Chuffed: House of Leaves (Danielewski)
from Shannon (in addition to those listed here): Children of the Night, Summer of Night (compared to IT), and Terror (not yet released) (all by Dan Simmons)

I'm starting my month of terror today with Capote (should act nicely as conversation fodder at dinner with the docs this evening seeing as it'll be all nice and fresh in my mind on my way to meet them...hmmmm..on second thought maybe I should start tomorrow...)

Keep those suggestions coming!

Mu said...

"I LOVE That Mu wrote "I hate scary books, so I am not much use here" then went on to give about 90 suggestions. For scary books. (o;"

I didn't say I'd be of NO use! Note noe of these books were written in the last 75 years - my scary books knowledge kind of stops with the 1920's.

Oh - that brings up "Call of Chuthulu" (sp?) as a possibility too.

OrangeMoJoJo said...

Ahhh, Lovecraft! Reminds me, Shannon - weren't we going to get Sammy a Cthulhu stuffed toy of her very own? You know, to insure she develops a healthy dose of "weird"?

Mu said...

Start a new tadition - sit on the couch with all the lights out and listen:

http://www.amazon.com/Edgar-Allan-Poe-Audio-Collection/dp/0694524190

Mu said...

Darn space limitations!

http://www.amazon.com/
Edgar-Allan-Poe-Audio-Collection/
dp/0694524190

Shannon said...

I once got to see the actor who played "Q" on Star Trek: the Next Generation read Poe's "The Raven" on Halloween. That was fairly cool...

OrangeMoJoJo said...

Another entry: Battle Royale, (is there a specific volume? They appear to run 15 volumes) by Takami and Taguchi, recommended by Evandebacle. "A Japanese Lord fo the Flies." Lord of the Flies is another good entry....
I also remember reading The Howling while vacationing with my family in the North Woods one summer, and reading The Watchers (Koontz) during another summer vacation, so really, I just like to be freaked out all year 'round. Or at least bi-annually in August and October...

Anonymous said...

Hi, can't think of anything real scary.
Jimmy

OrangeMoJoJo said...

We just watched some of the creepiest Buffy episodes from Season 2 so far (Passion & Killed by Death, the latter with the KinderTodd). Mu, you've definitely got Hallowe'en, 2006 off to an excellent start!

Jimmy, how could YOU not have any scary suggestions??? You run a werewolf Website (www.werewolfcafe.com) for goodness sake! What about the book notices you've received there? I depend on you to cull through them and find the scariest werewolf/shapeshifter novel EVER. Better yet, when's YOUR book going to be written so I can read IT on Hallowe'en?