24.11.06

For Those Of You Who Loved Labyrinth

DISCLAIMER: I just wanted to write this post so I could generously pepper it with pictures of Jareth, King of the Goblins.

"I'm so cool I can act with muppets, tease out my hair, weigh 45 pounds, and STILL look hot."

At the time we rented Mirrormask, I wasn't blogging, or even thinking of blogging. I mean, who has that kind of time?!? Obviously not Shannon, Mu, or Fafnir if you check the dates of their last entries!

"Tell me I don't look deep and slightly into bondage in this outfit.
Wanna gaze into my crystal?"


...I have no idea what that means.

I accidentally discovered Mirrormask while doing a search on The Sandman series author, Neil Gaiman. After reading American Gods and Good Omens on Shannon's excellent recommendation, I wanted to read more of his stuff. When I spotted a movie written by him, it went straight to the top of our Netflix queue.

Turns out Gaiman's got quite alot of stuff in the works, including the screenplay for Beowulf, which will be released sometime in 2007 WITH CRISPIN GLOVER PLAYING GRENDEL!!!

This pic is especially for you, ButterNugget - fellowe

The last remake of Beowulf I saw starred Christopher Lambert. Is there anyone LESS talented than that man?? His acting is so awful it makes me mad!! How is it he keeps getting work?!?!? His current movie is called Trivial, and I seriously think it's a documentary (documen-TARE-ee?) on his film career. He's been in as many films as Ian McKellan, Alan Rickman, Emma Thompson, Cate Blanchett, and Phillip Seymour Hoffman!!! It's an OUTRAGE! How does that happen?!?!? He's AWFUL!! I don't CARE that the films he's in are all barbarian-type, beat-em-up fight films with minimal dialogue (not minimal ENOUGH!), this man should NOT be given work. By anyone. Okay, okay, maybe he can lift heavy things from the top shelves of a stockroom in a warehouse in an isolated place located FAR FAR AWAY from any customers...

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Stupid Christopher Lambert.
*hrumph*.....

What the heck was I talking about....? Oh, yes! Mirromask! *visibly brightens!*

So yeah! Unlike Sarah in Labyrinth who wants the real world to get out of the way of her dreams of forgetting lines and putting on lipstick, Helena wants to do the opposite. She wants to leave the circus to join the real world. For more of a plot summary, click here. Mirrormask does lack David Bowie so if you need a Bowie fix, I highly recommend The Prestige which should be out on DVD soon. Bowie plays Nikola Tesla, a scientist contemporary with Edison. He invented these coil things that made lots of cool sparky things that get Hugh Jackman very excited.

There SHOULD be a picture of Bowie as Tesla here, but it's MY BLOG! MINE MINE MINE MINE!

I believe Helena would have made a far more believable love interest than ultra-whiny
"It's not FAIR!" Sarah.
"You say that so often. I wonder what your basis for comparison is?" ponders Jareth (shown pondering above).

The magic and imagination that went into Mirrormask seriously reminded me of Labyrinth, a movie that I must have watched 20 times in high school. Both take a normal girl at the end of childhood (although Sarah and Helena are very different) and place them in a magical, amazing world - alone - where they have to figure out how to get back home.

Or whether they really want to.

5 comments:

Butternugget said...

Crispin Glover, David Bowie...my head may explode. I was going to go on about how much I love love love David and Labyrinth etc...but it seems obvious.

I will however say this, if you Orangemojojo were a boy and single I would be all over you!

P.S. Remind me to tell you about speaking with Mr. Glover and to show you the photo.

Butternugget said...

Speaking of Christopher Lambert, do you also love Highlander?

If so I may have to kidnap you away from Sonotmu.

Mu said...

I liked Highlander, but 2 and 3 were the definition of AWFUL (I actually never saw all of 2 or 3, but they were bad).

Butternugget said...

Oh yes, I should have qualified that. I choose to pretend that 2 and 3 were never made and that Mario Van Peebles (who had no business in a Higlander movie) also doesn't exist.

OrangeMoJoJo said...

So.....conflicted......
I can't STAND Christopher Lambert!....but I DID really like the first Highlander movie! Oh, the agony!!

The second two were so bad though they ALMOST cancelled out my love of the first. Almost. Sean Connery was awesome in that movie!