24.11.06

Kip Addotta. For the Halibut.

I wouldn't be a true dork if I didn't listen to Dr. Demento throughout high school. Although I believe he's still on WLUP ("The Loop") every Sunday night, I can no longer stay awake past midnight to listen to him. I have terribly fond memories of listening to his show on my AM/FM Sony Walkman into the wee hours, laughing silently so as not to wake my family, and waking up bleary eyed with a sore stomach from laughing so hard. Dr. Demento introduced me to Frank Zappa, "Fish Heads", "Dead Puppies", "The Ballad Bilbo Baggins," "Weird Al" Yankovic, "They're Coming To Take Me Away," Tom Lehrer, Stan Freberg, "The Icebox Man (which I incidentally memorized for a severe-lack-of-original-talent show I performed in in Rhinelander, Wisconsin, home of the Hodag), and "The Homecoming Queen's Got A Gun."

Like I said, times change. I can't stay up late on Sundays anymore, so instead of Dr. Demento at 1AM, I'm listening to the radio at 7AM during my work-a-day commute. My eartreats during my drive in to work include "Lin's Bin" on WXRT, and NPR - in that order. Lin's Bin is played on 93.1, WXRT, at 7:15AM and 6:15PM on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, and it's worth the two minutes of your time. XRT DJ Lin Brehmer chooses a question from a listener and, though he doesn't always actually answer it, he uses it as a theme for his show. My most recent favorite was on medical ethics, a two-parter where he used alot of quotes from characters on
SCRUBS - especially my favorite - Dr. Cox.

Today I could swear Brehmer used the Billy Crystal/Christopher Guest line of "I
hate when that happens" in his show, thereby proving I am not indeed the only person who is familiar with that astonishingly brilliant cast of SNL: 1984-1985.

*moment of silence for what arguably may very well be be the best SNL cast EVER.*

A few months ago, Lin brought joined past and present by marrying his show with my fond memories of Dr. Demento by playing Kip Addotta's "
Wet Dreams" after his segment on puns. This was by far one of my very favorite Dr. Demento songs. I urge you to regress along with me now and laugh along with the lyrics - one of the most brilliant streams of puns I have ever heard put to music.

3 comments:

Butternugget said...

Oh my god! Frankie and Willie are one of my (and my friend Karen's) favorites and I too am thrilled that someone else remembers them.

My friend and I used to constantly recite and delight in the pain caused by a Carrot scraper, Ball-peen hammer, Tabasco sauce and of course a 6" replica of the Empire State building. It was an awesome set of characters and their low-key banter and habit of finishing each other’s thoughts was hilarious.

And don’t even get me started about Jackie Rogers Jr.'s $100,000 Jackpot Wad with Christopher Guest as Rajeev. Chocolate Babies!

I gotta go see For Your Consideration now!

OrangeMoJoJo said...

Do you remember the Synchronized Swimming skit, Nathan Thurm and the Minkman brothers? Captain Kangaroo? "Whitey bird!" I had the whole season taped and memorized, and my little brother taped over it with fuzzy Friday Night Videos.

But I'm not bitter.

Butternugget said...

Why yes I do! I loved Nathan Thurm and his paranoid answers. You hear so often those SNL years referred to as the "dark" years, yet I love them.