The Thin White Duke turned 60 today. Happy Birthday!!
Fun Bowie Facts:
- He was the original choice to play the Acid Queen in The Who's rock opera, Tommy.
- He is afraid of spiders. He therefore should NOT watch this video on how drugs affect the way wood spiders make their webs.
- He underwent heart surgery in 2004, and my dad underwent heart surgery last year, so my dad, who's also in his sixties, has something else in common with David Bowie! How cool is that?!?!? I know you're totally jealous.
- He sometimes wears socks.
- His last name was originally Jones.
- If it weren't for his cameo in Zoolander, that film would have totally flopped.
- I dressed up as David Bowie my sophomore year of high school and won a costume contest alongside a guy dressed as an orc in full chain mail carrying a broadsword. I'm pretty sure he spent a little more money and time on his costume than I did - I just copied the cover of Aladdin Sane - but unlike that cover I improvised and wore a shirt and tie.
- His eyes are different colours (I added the "u" to give a nod to his English heritage) as a result of a teenage fistfight over me. Shannon still sports the white crescent-shaped scar on his knuckle.
I won't give too many more in case you want to test your own Bowie knowledge via this online quiz.