8.1.07

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DAVID BOWIE!!!

"I'm sixty and I still look FABULOUS.
Keith Richa
rds, eat your heart out."

The Thin White Duke turned 60 today. Happy Birthday!!

Fun Bowie Facts:

  • He was the original choice to play the Acid Queen in The Who's rock opera, Tommy.
  • He is afraid of spiders. He therefore should NOT watch this video on how drugs affect the way wood spiders make their webs.
  • He underwent heart surgery in 2004, and my dad underwent heart surgery last year, so my dad, who's also in his sixties, has something else in common with David Bowie! How cool is that?!?!? I know you're totally jealous.
  • He sometimes wears socks.
  • His last name was originally Jones.
  • If it weren't for his cameo in Zoolander, that film would have totally flopped.
  • I dressed up as David Bowie my sophomore year of high school and won a costume contest alongside a guy dressed as an orc in full chain mail carrying a broadsword. I'm pretty sure he spent a little more money and time on his costume than I did - I just copied the cover of Aladdin Sane - but unlike that cover I improvised and wore a shirt and tie.
  • His eyes are different colours (I added the "u" to give a nod to his English heritage) as a result of a teenage fistfight over me. Shannon still sports the white crescent-shaped scar on his knuckle.

"I'm totally glad I lost that fight, though it was painful at the time."

I won't give too many more in case you want to test your own Bowie knowledge via this online quiz.

6 comments:

Rev Transit said...

I did crappy on the Bowie quiz, getting only two correct answers.

Nonetheless, I'd like to mention the Bowie-Texas connection. He picked his last name in honor of Jim Bowie of Alamo fame and that fighter's famous knife.

Jim Bowie's mother's maiden name was Jones, same as David Bowie's real last name. (Jones is mostly a Welsh name, btw.) Jim Bowie's grandfather was born in Fife, Scotland, hence David Bowie's tangential connection with Ulster, around which the entire world revolves, even gender-bender rockers.

Hah! I bet you didn't expect me to work Ulster into a David Bowie comment, did you?

OrangeMoJoJo said...

Rev, you'd work "Ulster" into a conversation about tacos. (o;

Shannon said...

Tacos can cause ulsers. So if you were an Ulster American, you could catagorize yourself as an ulsered Ulster!

OrangeMoJoJo said...

If you type "Ulster" and "tacos" into Google, you get 787 hits including a hit for a Taco Bell in NY located on Ulster Ave.....

OrangeMoJoJo said...

There are some easier Bowie quizzes, but this was the most professional-looking.

http://www.funtrivia.com/quizzes/music/music_a-c/david_bowie.html

Butternugget said...

I am a disappointed in myself, I only scored 80. I'll have to study more often.