9.2.07

JoJo's Abbreviated Oscar Picks

Okay, I'll admit, I didn't see Babel. Or Volver. Or The Departed. Or Dreamgirls. Or The Queen.

But I DID see Little Miss Sunshine, and based on that viewing I can dismiss all other movies and motion it should win Best Picture, and that Abigail Breslin should perform her Little Miss Sunshine dance with the Dreamgirls, who should, incidentally, win Best Soundtrack.

Meet Olive. Too cute to be a beauty queen? Maybe.....but her
talent routine certainly gives Apollonia a run for the money.


We also saw Stranger Than Fiction for which Zach Helm should win Best Screenplay and Dustin Hoffman should win Best Supporting Actor. Emma Thompson was brilliant as a neurotic, chain-smoking blocked writer - possibly the best writer of her time. This story, though set in the present, could be adapted to any time with a few minor modifications to the characters - an excellent indicator of a timeless story/fable.

OH! And Will Farrell should win Best Role EVER WRITTEN for Will Farrell! He should really never take another role. EVER.


Except maybe for Elf 2. I loved him in Elf.

"First we'll make snow angels for a two hours, then we'll go ice skating, then we'll eat a whole roll of Tollhouse Cookiedough as fast as we can, and then we'll snuggle."

Farrell's good in a well-written modern day fable, which Stranger Than Fiction certainly is. His wardrobe is much more conservative in Stranger Than Fiction (where he plays an IRS agent), but there are just as many cookies, if not more!, than there were in Elf.

I'm not telling you any more. Go watch these two movies - Little Miss Sunshine and Stranger Than Fiction - this bitter nasty cold weekend. They are both touching and they both have wonderful laugh-out-loud moments (Little Miss Sunshine actually caused one friend to literally fall out of her chair with laughter), and Stranger Than Fiction is actually quite thought provoking.

2 comments:

Shannon said...

Why would anyone want to provoke a thought??!!? They are dangerous when provoked!

evandebacle said...

Hmmm. Very tough. I think supporting actor has to go to Alan Arkin. He stole the show for me. That being said, I probably enjoyed Stranger Than Fiction more than any other movie this year. LMS was awesome, though I fear that The Funny Dance Climax will become an indie film cliche.

Volver was excellent. I will see Babel at some point because I love the director. I suspect it will be the exact species of pretentious art house crap that I gobble up.

BTW, next Friday the Music Box will be showing all the nominated shorts, animated and other wise. Might make for a good second set of Oscar picks.