26.2.07

Viva GLAM(inals)!

I meant viva animals, of course!

OrangeMoJoJo has decided to make a serious effort to purchase products that are not tested on animals. Because I like them! And M.A.C. says if I use their pro
ducts, which are NOT tested on animals, I can totally look like this:

Viva Glam!

I think Dita von Teese is the sexiest sleazy woman alive, and that she didn't need to be told that by being "awarded" the title of Ultra Vixen. I do wonder what the heck she was thinking when she married Marilyn Manson, but then, opposites attract and all that.... I'm not a fan of Mr. Warner's music, but I do think he's got quite a mind (remember him in Michael Moore's Bowling for Columbine?). Maybe that's it....

I am totally torn as to who should win custody of their cats, Lily and Aleister.
Viva Goth!
But I digress.

I have been in the process of sorting through my makeup and bath/body products to make sure I'm not using anything that's been tested on animals. I always MEAN to be aware, but I am so often drawn by cute (read: not Marilyn Manson-esque) packaging, that something may have slipped through. I was very pleased to find that my favorite brands are indeed NOT tested on animals. I'll share some products here that I use and absolutely swear by, and some that I won't buy because 1) they're crap and 2) they're tested on animals. For the most part, those that were crap were tested on animals, which leads me to wonder - why continue to test your products on animals??? You're obviously not learning anything!!!

With the exception of L'Oreal, that is. I've been using L'Oreal's Feria hair color on and off for years. I did not realize that it was tested on animals, and now that I do know, I'll be returning the box I just bought. Shame on you, Feria! And shame on me for not checking first.

I'm gonna warrant a guess that Kevin does NOT use Feria.

The lists I have supplied below are FAR from complete. Click on the headings for more complete lists. This goes for ye men as well. Gillette, Colgate, and Bic test on animals, for example. And what do you use to wash your hair?

NOT TESTED ON ANIMALS:
MAC (Buy Viva Glam products!!! 100% of your purchase goes to AIDS research!!!! To date they've raised over $86 million!!!)
Chanel (I swear by their foundation)
H2O Plus
Better Botanicals
Urban Decay (okay maybe there's a little Marilyn Manson in me after all!)
OPI (okay, how fun are the names of their nail polishes? My personal favorites are Didgeridoo My Nails?, Romeo and Juliet, Big Apple Red (must be the Dita von Teese in me!), and Not So Bora-Boring Pink)

TESTED ON ANIMALS:
Maybelline (I've written them 3 times - never received a response)
L'Oreal (Feria *sob!* I just wrote them)
Max Factor
Cover Girl
Lever
Clairol
Pantene
Sally Hansen
Johnson and Johnson
Oil of Olay

14 comments:

Shannon said...

Heeeeeey, why do I suspect this post was a secret way to have an excuse to post a pic of your favorite 500 Clown? I've got my eye on you, Jo!

OrangeMoJoJo said...

I *heart* Kevin. You knew that when I threw myself on her at 500 Clown Frankenstein.

Mu said...

I'm going to be safe and just stop washing...

OrangeMoJoJo said...

Ahhhh, I remember those Haiti pics!

Yeegads!! Neutrogena (johnson and johnson), Noxema, Ivory, Zest, Dial, Lever, Dove, and Pears - all of these test on animals.

Aussie does NOT test on animals (YAY!)

Aveda and Provence do NOT test on animals, and they both produce wonderful soaps. So does H20 Plus. Neolia produces a soap that's a little too heavily fragranced for my taste, but they do not test on animals. Crabtree and Evelyn has some wonderful soaps - they also do not test on animals.

For skin care: Naked Bee (their orange blossom hand/body lotion is AWESOME!!!!) and Burts Bees do NOT test on animals. Kiss My Face and Alba brands do NOT test on animals.

I'm not sure about Purpose, Basis (they're mainly just facial soaps anyway), or Bath and Body Works - they don't seem to have issued a statement.

OrangeMoJoJo said...

It is surprisingly difficult to find a cruelty-free hair dye UNLESS you're a goth:
http://www.goodgoth.com/cosmetics.htm

http://www.spookyboutique.com/boutique/manicpanic.html

So we're back to Marilyn Manson again. Marilyn Manson - Good for the environment and cruelty-free!

OrangeMoJoJo said...

Philosophy does NOT test on animals

Joey New York - I can't tell whether they test or not. I'm going to call them on my way home. When I'm stopped at a light, of course!

OrangeMoJoJo said...

Calvin Klein and Elizabeth Arden DO TEST on animals (remember to bring your own nail polish to Red Door and Mario Tricoci spas for those pedis, ladies! They use Elizabeth Arden. In fact, they're OWNED by Elizabeth Arden.)

Clarins, Clinique, and Estee Lauder do NOT test on animals.

OrangeMoJoJo said...

Bulgari does not test on animals (thank god. I LOVE teh Bulgari perfumes - ESPECIALLY Black. Which is, of course, why they discontinued it.)

I haven't been able to find out about BeneFit yet. I'll call them, too. Um, when I'm stopped at another stop light.

Shannon said...

You seem to stop at a lot of lights. And never seem to be on hold for longer than a light. Hmmmmmm....

OrangeMoJoJo said...

I must charge my Jabra. For serious.

OrangeMoJoJo said...

MORE UPDATES:

I spoke with Peggy at BeneFit and she informed me that they absolutely do NOT test on animals.

Jennifer at Joey, NY was less certain and had to transfer me twice before someone told me they don't test on animals either.

Anonymous said...

Just want to clarify that Aussie is owned and operated by Procter and Gamble, a company that DOES test on animals. Furthermore, Aussie is NOT listed on PETA's "Don't Test" list

OrangeMoJoJo said...

AH! That's a bummer! Where did you find that info? Thank you!

OrangeMoJoJo said...

It appears Aussie had NOT been tested on animals previously, but, now that the brand is owned by Procter and Gamble, Aussie very well could be tested on them. Damn. That truly, truly sucks.

http://www.cbc.ca/streetcents/guide/2003/06/s07_01.html

Thanfully, there are many brands that don't test on animals. We'll just have to switch.