2.3.07

Richard Jeni, It's Almost Spring Here, What Is It, the Dead of Winter There? Huh? Huh?


On Religion: "You're basically killing eachother to see who's got the bettter imaginary friend."

On Chicago: "I think that's how Chicago got started. A bunch of people in New York said, 'Gee, I'm enjoying the crime and the poverty, but it just isn't cold enough. Let's go west.' "

It was confirmed this morning that comedian Richard Jeni died of suicide - a gunshot wound to the head. When police found him he was still alive, but died soon after arriving at the hospital. He was 49 years old.

I remember watching him in the late 80s on Comedy Central back when it was all standup comedians and informercials. It was so awesome. Hours and hours of Rita Rudner. Paula Poundstone. Richard Belzer. Janeane Garofalo. Judy Tanuta. Emo Phillips. Ellen DeGenerous. Jake Johannsen. Richard Jeni. He wasn't my favorite stand-up comic, but I never turned him off. He certainly did make me laugh out loud on more than one occasion - especially when he talked about his parents. Seems when he moved to LA his parents couldn't get a handle on the whole time change thing. "It's 9:00 here, what is it,noon there? Huh? Huh? It's 3PM here what is it 5 AM there? Huh? Huh? It's Easter here, what is it, Christmas there?"

Thank you for making me laugh, Richard! I'm sorry you felt you had to go when you did.

1 comment:

evandebacle said...

I didn't see much of Jeni's work so I have nothing really intelligent to say.

However, "He wasn't my favorite stand-up comic, but I never turned him off." basically sums up my improv aspirations. Well done.