5.9.07

Another Presidential Hopeless!

I'll be the first to admit I'm not the most politically savvy person on the planet. I may not even be the most politically savvy person in this room, and I'm the only one in it! (I think my ivy plant has conservatory leanings, har har!). But I had NO clue who Tom Tancredo was, or that he was actually a presidental candidate. I just read a quote from Mohammed Hussain Mahanti of a Pakistani religious coalition saying, "Those who are talking about attacking our holiest places are committing blasphemy. The punishment for this offence is death, and death only," in response to Tancredo's brilliant idea of threatening to bomb Mecca and Medina in order to staunch terrorism: “If it is up to me, we are going to explain that an attack on this homeland of that nature would be followed by an attack on the holy sites in Mecca and Medina,” Fabulous idea! Brilliant! I mean, if, say, Catholics attacked a non-catholic country, and that country in turn bombed the Vatican, all Catholic nations would drop their arms, right? Such stunning logic!

Huh. Turns out Tancredo is a Republican conservative from NH. Whaddya know? The NH surprises me, it being so close to Maine....

I could only nod at Mahanti's response - not in agreement, but in understanding. I immediately thought Reginald de Kerak, Reggie de Chatillon, Reg, Reggie, "Renegade" Reggie, "Wolf," Reynald d'Kerak, Raynaud d'Chatillon, or whatever other name you know him by....

Oh, you don't? Not ringing a bell? Obviously Tancredo doesn't remember Reggie, either. See, d'Chatillon made it a habit of antagonizing the Muslims in the later half of the 12th century. At one point he tried to steal Mohammad's body out of his tomb so he could drag it behind his horse. Another time he kidnapped Saladin's sister after granting her caravan "safe passage." Saladin caught up with our buddy in 1187 where Chatillon was captured after King Guy d'Lusignon's army was defeated at the Battle of Hattin. Saladin beheaded Chatillon himself.

Saladin has not been forgotten. His statues are all over the middle east. His tomb is a pilgrimage site. He is remembered as one of the greatest Muslim leaders of all time.

So once again, note to Republicans Shrubbie "This is a crusade! A crusade against terror!" Bush and Tommy-the-Tank- "Bomb the holy sites!" -redo - For the love of god - pick up a book that wasn't freaking written by Tom Clancy once in a while!!

3 comments:

Shannon said...

Why should I-Mericans be interested in history? We MAKE history, we don't NEED to read it!

Rev Transit said...

Tom Tancredo is actually from Colorado and is trying to get votes by positioning himself as the Republican candidate who hates foreigners the most. He especially hates illegal Mexicans in this country.

Tancredo is the guy that Siabon wouldn't admit is dumber than My Mortal Enemy btw.

OrangeMoJoJo said...

He lives in CO, but NH is all OVER his home page:

http://www.teamtancredo.com/

Like I said, this is the first time I've heard of the guy. My political literacy is in the lower 25th percentile. I'd much rather be informed of orange, shiny things.