31.10.07

Happy Halloween, Boils and Ghouls!

Halloween is my favorite day of the year. Today I'm dressed in an orange velvet jacket, black shirt, and rubber skull tie. I'll upload a pic later on today or tomorrow. I had to forgo the makeup - this is a professional office after all....

Professional office...How did I get this job again...?

Here's my final Halloween Reading List:

They Thirst, by Robert McCammon - Shannon
Battle Royale, by Koushun Takami - Peepster
Shadowlands, by Peter Straub - Paul
The Exorcist, by William Peter Blatty - Papa Schuetter
Dracula, by Bram Stoker - Nancy W.
Salem's Lot, by Stephen King - sonotstraight and Eevam
The Shining, also by Stephen King - Marc
Weiland, by Charles Brockdem Brown - Brittany Sonotspears
The Trial by Franz Kafka - Dieter
The Ruins, by Scott Smith - The Boss of Me
"My blog. It's really scahahahary!" - My Brother the Wolfman
"Miriam," by Truman Capote - Chuffed
"The Monkey's Paw," by W.W. Jacobs - M
Seven Gothic Tales, "...or something like that" by Isak Dinesen - Neil
Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret by Judy Blume - Shecky
"Anything by Poe" - Mu (I've chosen "The Fall of the House of Usher")
"The Mist" by Stephen King - two clerks at the Northbrook Borders who have formed kind of a twisted horror reading club with a few other employees.

So far I've read The Ruins and They Thirst. I gave my review of The Ruins in an earlier post, and despite it's losing steam about halfway through (the author decided to get "clever" and in doing so effectively killed the creepiness of the tale), The Boss of Me is in the lead ahead of Shannon.

They Thirst also started off creepy, but lost steam about a third of the way through with the introduction of the Vampire King Vulkan and his plan of taking over the world starting with Los Angeles. He even had a Renfield-like servant named Benefield.

Benefield. Seriously. We woulda figured it out without the similar name, McCammon!

A note to horror authors out there: there's a reason the horror section is so tiny - you're trying to hard. Our brains are amazing, and our imaginations are vivid enough without your "helpful" details. Let them do the work, and rake in the cash!

I'm now reading Shadowlands and Battle Royale....

No comments: