11.10.07

Keep Those Suggestions Coming!


I promise not all my posts from now on will be morbid and disturbing, but dang if I ain't having fun with this contest!

I've received a number of frightfully good suggestions for the Second Annual "Scare the Living Daylights Outta OrangeMoJoJo!" contest. To those of you who've sent them in - thanks! For those of you who are still thinking - you've got until next Friday to send 'em in. If I get any after that, I'll hold on to them until next year. You can never hoard enough, you know - you never know when the zombies will strike!

Here are the books I'll be reading so far. I've read a couple before (noted in a well-earned dried blood red), but it's been years and they're worth coming back to to see, as sonotstraight said, if they're as good as the memory of them is.

I'm not too worried that they'll be "shoe-ins" to win seeing as I'm familiar with them and probably won't be as terrified the second time around, but Salem's Lot gave me nightmares, literally (pun intended), for months.

Danny Glick.

*SHUDDER!!!!!*

Here's the list so far:

They Thirst, by Robert McCammon - Shannon
Battle Royale, by Koushun Takami - Peepster
Shadowland, by Peter Straub - Paul
The Exorcist, by William Peter Blatty - Papa Schuetter
Dracula, by Bram Stoker - Nancy W.
Salem's Lot, by Stephen King - This one got TWO recommendations: sonotstraight and Eevam
Weiland, by Charles Brockdem Brown - Brittany sonotspears
"Anything by Kafka" - Dieter (I've read "The Hunger Artist" and The Metamorphosis - do any of you have any suggestions to help narrow this down from there? Maybe The Castle or The Trial?)
The Ruins, by Scott Smith - The Boss of Me
"Miriam," by Truman Capote - Chuffed
"The Monkey's Paw," by W.W. Jacobs - M
Seven Gothic Tales, "...or something like that" by Isak Dinesen - Neil

3 comments:

OrangeMoJoJo said...

Keep in mind non-fiction and sci-fi can be creepy, too! _Helter Skelter_ scared the bejeebus out of me when I read it my junior year. I haven't been able to listen to the White Album the same way since!

orangeguru said...

Go for Kafka's "Trial" ...

Shannon said...

8 days since your last post! BAH!