9.10.07

The Second Annual "Scare The Living Bejeebus Outta OrangeMoJoJo!!" Contest

I hate to disturb you like this, but I need your help.

Today is October 9th - the first day of All-Hallow'n, which lasts through November 11. Seems appropriate to me that there should be a month long Halloween season!


I do so love October. The weather's getting cooler, the leaves are turning, the color ORANGE!!!! is everywhere...


But I digress. Let me come right to the point.

To celebrate Halloween I like to scare myself silly by reading really frightening books or watching truly scary movies.


Here's my dilemma. I've read literally hundreds of scary novels (not to mention horrific true crime!) through the years, and it's getting harder and harder to find really well written horror novels.


Well, now that I think of it, they don't have to be novels...



I need your help.

Let me know the scariest books you've ever read, and I'll read them. I'll even choose one randomly to read by candlelight.

If yours manages to scare me more than any of the others suggested, I'll send you a treat.


I've got three good suggestions already, though those of you who have suggested them are free to change them.


The suggestions I have so far are:

They Thirst, by Robert R. McCammon (Shannon),
Battle Royale, by Koushun Takami (Peepster), and
Shadowlands, by Peter Straub (Paul).

Last year Chuffed won with her suggestion of The House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski, followed by Kelly's suggestion of In Cold Blood by Truman Capote.

I've read books on possession,


demons,



and psychos,



but I'll accept any entry - as long as you attest it's terrifying.



I used to choose a book every Halloween and read it overnight by candlelight. The two that creeped me out the most were The Amityville Horror and It by Stephen King. The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty, Rosemary's Baby by Ira Levin, The Omen by David Seltzer, and the "short" story (at over 300 pages) "The Mist" by Stephen King each caused me a few sleepless nights nights, too.


I'll also take any really good scary movie suggestions.


If your book manages to freak me out enough to leave the lights on or cause me a good nightmare, I'll throw in an extra prezzie.

2 comments:

Shannon said...

I'm glad _I_ don't know any psychos!

OrangeMoJoJo said...

This one was cute though! He followed me all over Ireland.