11.4.08

I Find It Kinda Funny, I Find It Kinda Sad

....that songs can have such an effect on a person. Here are six that make me cry or absolutely lose track of where I am:

1. "Days to Dust" - Grey Eyed Glances. This song makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up every time I hear it. The combination of the lead vocalist and the male backups' amplified exhalations is just stunning.

2. "Wicked Little Town" (Hedwig and the Angry Inch) - Tommy Gnosis version. Made me cry in the movie, makes me mist up in the car EVERY TIME I hear hear the lines: "You think that Luck has left you there,/but maybe there's nothing up in the sky but air." For some reason, agnostic as I am, nothing makes me feel the massive size of the universe in relation to my tiny, insignificant self like that line does:



3. "Mad World" (Donnie Darko) Gary Jules/Michael Andrews. This one just gets me.



4. "Warning Sign" - Coldplay. I was bawling by the end the first time I heard it



5. "Funeral For a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding" - Elton John. The first half, "Funeral for a Friend" is slow and melancholy beautiful, but when he starts wailing near the end of "Love Lies Bleeding," it just rips my heart out.



6. "Bella Nuit" - Offenbach (Tales of Hoffman; Life is Beautiful) ; New Philharmonic Orchestra: Monserrat Caballé (soprano) and Shirley Verrett (mezzo-soprano). There's no question why Benigni chose this as Guido and Dora's song in Life is Beautiful. It may be the most beautiful duet ever written (Sorry, Bowie/Jagger).



Not that I'd trade Shannon's and my song for the world.

8 comments:

Shannon said...

Oooo, good pick on the Grey Eye Glances song...

Shannon said...

My list would include good renditions of Ombra Ma Fu (by Handel) and "E lucevan le stelle" from Tosca - esp. the Tosca is just tragic: a man, about to be shot/executed writing his last letter to the woman he loves, knowing he'll never see her again. Just a staggering aria.

Shannon said...

For those interested, you can check out E lucevan le stelle here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6urNGBR95w&feature=related

Rev Transit said...

This would make a pretty good blog-meme-- six songs that make you cry (in a good way, not a suckass way).

Jo, you seem to like songs that are "long, looooong and full of longing". I'll start to put together my own list, which will prove that I can be brought to tears in maybe half the time it takes you, less than three minutes usually. Keep that info to yourself, if you would, because it might damage both our reputations.

Rev Transit said...

Shannon: "the Tosca is just tragic: a man, about to be shot/executed writing his last letter to the woman he loves, knowing he'll never see her again."

That seems far less tragic than having to live a long life apart from your beloved, especially if it were due to shame or being dumped. He'll be executed and the pain will be over.

The POV of the woman receiving the letter seems much more tragic, unless, of course, the man was being executed for a horrendous crime. In that case, even she might be thinking, "Good riddance!"

OrangeMoJoJo said...

The man writing the letter was separated from his beloved by an evil wicked man who wanted her all to himself, so he had the man imprisoned. Much like Sweeney Todd, but without the cannibalism.

Rev Transit said...

Ah! That makes it sadder. Still, he'll be dead soon and the woman and evil wicked man will probably live happily ever after. There's a gleam of hope in all that.

BTW, I'm glad you wrote "evil wicked" so as to differentiate from "wicked good". I was thinking the whole time I was watching the Hedwig video that every Mainer would want to live in a "wicked (good) town" and it wouldn't be sad at all there.

OrangeMoJoJo said...

2. "[evil] Wicked Little Town"