....that songs can have such an effect on a person. Here are six that make me cry or absolutely lose track of where I am:
1. "Days to Dust" - Grey Eyed Glances. This song makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up every time I hear it. The combination of the lead vocalist and the male backups' amplified exhalations is just stunning.
2. "Wicked Little Town" (Hedwig and the Angry Inch) - Tommy Gnosis version. Made me cry in the movie, makes me mist up in the car EVERY TIME I hear hear the lines: "You think that Luck has left you there,/but maybe there's nothing up in the sky but air." For some reason, agnostic as I am, nothing makes me feel the massive size of the universe in relation to my tiny, insignificant self like that line does:
3. "Mad World" (Donnie Darko) Gary Jules/Michael Andrews. This one just gets me.
4. "Warning Sign" - Coldplay. I was bawling by the end the first time I heard it
5. "Funeral For a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding" - Elton John. The first half, "Funeral for a Friend" is slow and melancholy beautiful, but when he starts wailing near the end of "Love Lies Bleeding," it just rips my heart out.
6. "Bella Nuit" - Offenbach (Tales of Hoffman; Life is Beautiful) ; New Philharmonic Orchestra: Monserrat Caballé (soprano) and Shirley Verrett (mezzo-soprano). There's no question why Benigni chose this as Guido and Dora's song in Life is Beautiful. It may be the most beautiful duet ever written (Sorry, Bowie/Jagger).
Not that I'd trade Shannon's and my song for the world.