7.5.08

Doctor Who Season 3 Should Have Ended Sooner

Approximately an episode and a half sooner.

I can't tell you what a disappointment the last two episodes of Doctor Who, Season 3 were for me, especially after the two episodes preceding them (episodes 9 and 10) were SO brilliant.

"Utopia" showed major promise, but left a lot of unanswered questions, suffered from spotty writing, and, let's just say.... having Derek Jacobi in there was a major tease. His successor's character was no where near as fabulous, and the writing from "Utopia" on through the end of the season became progressively more slapdash. Even the Scissors Sisters couldn't save either of the last two episodes.

I'm just going to pretend the last two episodes didn't happen, and say that the season ended with the superamazing episode: "Blink." I'm actually going to have to make a new tradition of watching it every year 'round Halloween.


My biggest fear is that Doctor Who has jumped the shark, and I REALLY hope I'm wrong. This thought dawned on me when I realized this morning that, though I cannot wait for them to announce when Supernatural Season 3 will be released on DVD; I find I am not waiting with baited breath for Doctor Who Season 4 as I had been for Season 3 after we'd finished watching the previous season. When we'd finished Season 2, I actually bumped up our Netflix queue to "5 at a time" in order to get our next Doctor Who fix AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE!

I'm really hoping that Doctor Who has not jumped the shark with "Blink," that the writers just blew their wad a bit early in the season, and after some time off to relax and renew their idea banks they'll be back next season (Season 4, currently airing on the SciFi Channel) with episodes that are as good or better than Season 3's episodes 9 and 10.


11 comments:

Butternugget said...

I'll agree with you that Utopia and Sound of the Drums (and maybe a little of Last of the Time Lords) could have been condensed a lot to make them better but I love the end of the last episode (last ten min. or so). Especially Captain Jack's last bit, a bit hammy but I still really like the scene.

Watch the Christmas special, Runaway Bride (with Catherine Tate), it may be a good gage for how you will feel about season four.

Also, Russell Davies was the writer for the episodes you didn't care for but he only writes about half the seasons, although he tends to alway do the last few of a season. He didn't write Blink.

OrangeMoJoJo said...

I liked Tate in Runaway Bride! They definitely had chemistry.

I don't know if it's me or the writers, but the same thing happened to me with X-Files. I LOVED the ones that stood alone (remember vampire pizza delivery boy? (seas. 5; episode 12)HiLARious!!) but when they tried to incorporate an over-arching story it felt too forced. Keep in mind this could be a result of my pathetically short attention span.

Butternugget said...

No, I absolutely agree with you, trying to make the story go over three episodes was a bit too much and got it go slow and boring in the middle. Martha yapping all over the globe could have been pruned down quite a bit.

And I did like the final Master (John Simm) a lot, he also does a great job in Life On Mars.

And don't even get me started on why the X-Files went on as long as it did.

Shannon said...

Oooo, I dunno, Butternugget. The Master was NOT to my liking: too bipolar, too crazy. I don't want a psychopathic Master - I want one that's very much in control, and pure evil. No excuses, no "ooo, he looked into the vortex as a child" sympathy builders. Just evil.

Jacobi was GREAT. I did like the final scene with the Doctor and the Master.

And I, for one, would be perfectly happy to watch season 4. Right now. Although I'll be happy with Supernaturals, too. Dean's so dreamy...

OrangeMoJoJo said...

Who's the dreamiest:

The Doctor (David Tennant, Doctor Who)
Dean Winchester (Jensen Ackles, Supernatural) or Lt. Felix Gaeta (Alessandro Juliani, Galactica)

Oooh, that's not easy...
I'll have to watch the next season of each just to narrow my decision....

Okay, Gaeta's totally the dreamiest, but I'll have to watch all three anyway, you know, just to be sure.

Rev Transit said...

Yeah, Gaeta's the dreamiest. Hands down. Not even close.

I don't even think Dean's the dreamier Winchester or that Tennant is the sexiest Doctor.

Butternugget said...

Really? Hm. Granted the "vortex" excuse was a little lame but I guess I sort of thought part of the crazy came from being "lost" in his mind not knowing he was the Master for so long. Maybe I made up my own story to make it better. What I wasn't crazy about was the weird "wife" that he had. Wasn't necessary, didn't make a lot of sense and wasn't very fleshed out.

Or maybe I just like John Simm.

And yes, Jacobi was awesome, he always is.

Butternugget said...

Rev, does that mean you prefer Eccleston? In a hotness thing I mean. I'm guessing it isn't Jon Pertwee.

Rev Transit said...

Just on looks, there's not that much difference between Eccleston and Tennant IMO. I haven't seen any of the Tennant Whos yet, but I find Eccleston's grin sexy and I like that his Who's unlikely to waste a lot of time on sentimental crap.

Mu said...

I would be slow to assume that Dr. Who has jumped the shark. Two average shows to end the season are not a huge indication. I have found all of the season finales to be average; the cybermen/dalek one was the best, but I find parallel worlds VERY irritating in SF. I'm not worried, and I have it on good authority from a friend in Spain who is watching the current season that the first episode of the next season is stunning.

Butternugget said...

I did like the first episode (of season four), didn't fall in love with it. With out giving things away, I can say that people who dislike too much "cute" have been less pleased with the opener than others.