24.7.08

My Favorite Children's Song


I have no idea what happened to my copy of Carl Orff's Gassenhauer ("Street Song"), but it's quite possible I wore a hole right through the vinyl by the time I entered the fifth grade.

Last Christmas, Shannon tracked down an Orff-Schulwerk compilation, Volume I - Musica Poetica, that had the title song, "Gassenhauer," on it. It's the first song, actually. "Gassenhauer" was my favorite song as a kid. Even now, no matter where I am when I hear it, I am immediately transported to myself as a third-grade kid at Roosevelt Grammar School. Apparently I was a pretty happy kid! (o: The first notes put a grin on my face and an almost overwhelming desire to DANCE!

I remember how skeptical I was when I received an album as a Christmas gift from my mom (aka "Blitzen"). She was a classical music buff, while I already had my own very small collection of Shaun Cassidy albums and was borrowing my brother's David Bowie albums when he wasn't home. She was SO excited to have found a copy of that album, and couldn't wait to listen to it with me. It didn't take much time for me to warm to it!

Tonight Shannon and I watched True Romance, and, though Orff wasn't credited, Hans Zimmer used Gassenhauer as the theme music. I found "Gassenhauer" on YouTube for your listening pleasure (see below). It builds until it GETS YA!, about two minutes in, but I recommend listening to it from the beginning, just like Blitzen made me do nearly three decades ago.

No comments: