24.10.08

Sooooooo Jealoussssssssss

Here's a picture from the current Shimer in Oxford blog of Chronophage atop his Corpus Clock. It was taken by a student during a recent visit to Corpus Christi and the rest of beautiful(-but-not-quite-as-beautiful-as-Oxford!) Cambridge. The clock was unveiled by Stephen Hawking on 19 September.


I am so jealous of the students who are participating in the Shimer in Oxford program who got to go and see this! I wish it had been unveiled when I was there. Or that I was still there. Or that I would always be there... That's it! Shannon, pack up! Have you seen how strong the dollar is in England right now??!! $1.59??!?! OMG!!!

You can watch Dr. John Taylor explain his gorgeous timepiece and it's dedication to John Harrison's "grasshopper escapement" here:

5 comments:

Mu said...

Did I mention we'll be in London in about 4 weeks? Maybe I'll go check out the clock thingie...

OrangeMoJoJo said...

Cambridge is only an hour and a half's journey by train....
http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/en/pj/tt

Shannon said...

Middlebury grads have a weak notion of geography: "England=London"

Mu said...

It is certainly closer to the clock than say, Cicero.
Sadly, given that we only have 5 days in town, we won't be getting to Oxford this time around.

Shannon said...

One notes that Cambridge is not in Oxford...