1.10.08

Third Annual Scare the Bejeebus Outta OrangeMoJoJo Contest

Now, I just know I saw you around here somewhere...



AH! THERE you are!


I'm so glad you're here. You see, I require some assistance, and it's not going to be easy.



In October of every year since I've started this blog, I've asked for suggestions for scary books to read throughout the month.



Because Halloween is my favorite month. It just makes me happy. And nothing pleases me more than a good scary story.



Unfortunately, I find I'm running shorter and shorter of good scary ones. Maybe the good authors, Hawthorne, Poe, Stevenson, are busy doing other things...?



As always, the stories you suggest don't have to be traditional horror stories, in fact, it's likely I might have read them if they were.



They can be true crime stories,



or stories about psychopaths...



Stories about creepy figurines



Whatever you think will creep me out, for whatever reason.



I've provided a list below of books and stories that are disqualified because I've read them already. That means this this year you're going to have to get even more creative.



But there's no pressure. It's just a little contest.



And the winner gets treats!



LAST YEAR'S WINNER (PapaSchuetter):
The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty

2006 WINNER (Chuffed):
The House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski


OrangeMoJoJo's List of Banned ('cuz I've read 'em) Books:

The Amityville Horror by Jay Anson
Anything by Nathanial Hawthorne
Anything by Stephen King
Anything by Robert McCammon
Anything by Edgar Allen Poe
Battle Royale by Koushun Takami
"Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde" by Robert Louis Stevenson
Dracula by Bram Stroker
In Cold Blood and "Miriam" by Truman Capote
The Family by Ed Sanders
Ghost Story by Peter Straub
The Keep by Paul Wilson
The Keeper by Sarah Langan
"The Monkey's Paw" by W.W. Jacobs
The Omen by David Seltzer
Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier
Rosemary's Baby by Ira Levin
The Ruins by Scott Smith
Seven Gothic Tales by Isak Dineson
Shadowland by Peter Straub
The Trial by Franz Kafka
The Turn of the Screw by Henry James
Weiland by Charles Brockden Brown
The Woman in White by Wilke Collins

I apologize. I didn't mean to barge in here like a nurse outta hell, I know you're busy.



but if you could get back to me before October 20, I would be eternally grateful!



9 comments:

Rev Transit said...

How about the scariest website ever?

http://www.johnmccain.com/palin.htm

Mu said...

How about "Brave New World" - not really a horror novel, but scary enough.

Mu said...

Or the graphic novel "Watchmen" - soooo good (and being made into a movie).

Sarcasm is just one more service I offer. said...

I couldn't help but, notice a lack of Anne Rice on your list? All the books in the Vampire Chronicles are great and she also has a series about a family of witches. The first book in the series is my favorite. It's called the Witching Hour. She also has one called The Mummy that is pretty awsome too. Anyway, maybe you would like one or two out of all of those. There are alot to choose from. :o)

OrangeMoJoJo said...

OK Rev, that was just mean.

"Brave New World" and "Watchmen" are excellent suggestions, Mu! We were just talking about the movie a couple of days ago. Your brother is muy excited!

Has anyone read the "Sandman" series? I love Gaiman - is that scary stuff?

I LOVED "The Witching Hour," Sarcasm! I devoured all the Anne Rice I could get my hands on in college. I'll either reread the first book (my favorite too! And it's been years.) or try to find one I haven't read. She may have come out with one or two books after I stopped reading her stuff.....

Whiteschnauzer said...

Try reading some Brian Lumley.

OrangeMoJoJo said...

Necroscope?

Mu said...

Sandman is excellent, but it is more thought-provoking than scary. Certainly worth a reed, though. Did I mention I have most of the original series from 1990-1992?

Mu said...

For your edification, check out
http://www.folkalley.com/music/halloween/

I think you'll like it. :)