14.1.09

Inspired By Butternugget

I think that movies that I'll have no interest in, or, more pointedly, that I think will suck should use music that I hate in trailers. Conversely, movies that I will love should use music that I love. Butternugget noted that she experienced conflicting feelings whenever she saw the trailer for the movie Notorious. On the one hand, it was a movie she had no interest in seeing, but then, on the other hand, every time she saw the trailer, she got strangely excited about the movie. She finally realized her excitement had nothing to do with the movie and everything to do with the song they were playing in the trailer, "Notorious" by Duran Duran. Which I have posted here so she can listen to it free of The Notorious B.I.G.




I recently saw a trailer that used "Heaven" by Lamb as the catch music. Caught me! I thought, "LAMB! Awesome! Now I KNOW I'm going to LOVE THIS!" I sat back in giddy anticipation and was rewarded with a trailer for....now I don't remember the name of it, but from the trailer it looked like it may prove to be, like, the stupidest movie ever.

Okay, the stupidest movie ever - after Christopher Lambert's Beowulf, where many of the characters wear full head helmets. Brilliant in concept,


but not so brilliant in excecution. Evidenced in the fact that 99.9% of the cast is slaughtered by Grendel because THEY CAN'T SEE HIM.

If I'd seen the trailer for Beowulf BEFORE excitedly snatching the movie off the "New Releases" wall at the Park Ridge Blockbuster Video in 1999, I'm pretty sure I would have skipped it. And even if I had seen the trailer I may have been immune because why? NO LAMB IN THE TRAILER. Or Danny Elfman. I am a sucker for Danny Elfman. Hey, I saw The Flash and Darkman III only because he did the music. Which, as it turns out, was not really a good enough reason to waste those 4 hours of my life, but I was too scared of him to tell him so.


Okay, I just looked up the trailer on YouTube and I think if I had the tellie on "mute" I still would have been pretty clued in to the fact that Beowulf was to be. A Truly. Horrible. Movie.



But I digress. Back to the trailer for the movie I (blissfully) can't remember anything about.

All's I'm saying is, if they'd used...well, any song, really, by, say, Billy Corgan, for example, or Celine Dion, or Smashing Pumkins, or Barbra Streisand, or Brittany Spears or, I don't know, maybe, Zwan - I would have IMMEDIATELY hit "next" on my remote, thus sparing me the horrorshockanger of having one of my favorite running songs, "Heaven," tainted (albeit briefly! It's too good a song to hold a taint for long! And yes, Roland Burris, "taint" IS a word) by being associated with what promises to be a crappy film.

I'm going to put Lamb right here now, because I feel like it.





OMG. I just found an article on a so-called music Website listing the "50 Worst Artists In Music History" and they list Oingo Boingo as #16! Danny Elfman was the lead singer of Oingo Boingo. *fuuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmme* In the words of Paul Thomas Anderson, (who based his screenplay on other words by Upton Sinclair...okay one other word by Upton Sinclair: Oil!): There Will Be Blood. Oh! Better yet, Oingo Boingo's "Imposter," a little ditty about music critics, was written for the likes of John Aizlewood, Clark Collis, J.D. Considine, John Harris, Howard Johnson, Rob Kemp, Daniel Krauss, Mat Snow and Jonah Weiner! To each and every one of you "You're head is firmly lodged way up your butt where it belongs."

2 comments:

Butternugget said...

And now you make me want to post a loooong and crazy post about Cristopher Lambert.

I love Highlander, the first one and only the first one. Not the TV series and most definitely not the one with Mario Van Peebles. None of them.

But for a while in the late 80's and early 90's I kept seeing movies with Mr. Lambert, until I realized he is not a good actor and I only like him in Highlander.

That said, the Christopher Lambert Highlander 12" action figure is staring at me right now from atop my computer.

But to bring this back to your point, Queen did the music for Highlander, which was awesome. Because really, who wants to live forever.

OrangeMoJoJo said...

As one vampire fanatic to another, I'm thinking living forever is not all it's cracked up to be, but man, the power you attain after the first 500 years....hmmmm....makes you think twice. (o;

I also loved the first Highlander and watched about 4 or 5 more Christopher Lambert movies until I realized he was The Suck.

Queen also did the theme song to The Flash! "Nothing but a man/who can never fail! FLASH! A-AH!!!!" Elfman did the rest of the music.